Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Ruby Lu, Star of the Show (#3) by Lenore Look

★★★

The first thing that struck me when I picked up this book was the illustrations. This book's illustrator (Stef Choi) is different from the illustrator of the previous two books I read (Anne Wilsdorf), and I noticed the difference. Maybe I am just partial to what I started with, but I also felt that in this book's illustrations, Ruby and her family did not always look Chinese.

Also, it's been a while since I read the first two books, but I seemed to remember Ruby being more eccentric than she was in this book. I don't know if maybe she's just growing up? But if that's the case, then as a third grader, she really should have known better than to cut her friends' hair! Those kinds of antics seem more like something a kindergartener might do.

This book was reminiscent of Ramona and Her Father because it dealt with a similar theme. I liked that it imparted down-to-earth ideas like, "Cheap was fun. It meant using your imagination instead of your wallet. It could make something out of nothing." (Pg. 95) And, there was also a nice lesson about doing the right thing: "Finders are not keepers. Finders are helpers." (Pg. 111)

No comments:

Post a Comment