Sunday, June 21, 2015

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

★★★★

The opening scenes had a very Tim Burton feel, and I admit, I was wary. In the book, Willy Wonka's factory was mysterious, yes, but in the movie, there was also a kind of darkness about it, almost as if it was sinister in some way. Also, I expected Willy Wonka to be exuberant and jovial, but in the movie, he was mostly eccentric and wacky.

Still, Johnny Depp's portrayal grew on me. The visuals were impressive, and in many ways, the movie was delightful. I particularly appreciated Willy Wonka's various one-liners.

Interestingly, even while the movie adhered closely to the book, it also added to it in ways that I thought were meaningful. I liked the way the movie expanded on the faults of two of the children. Violet Beauregard didn't just chew gum, she was arrogant and cared only for winning. Mike Teavee didn't just watch a lot of TV, he was was disrespectful and violent.

Also, Willy Wonka was given a sad childhood with a strict and candy-forbidding father. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I loved the way it all came together in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment