Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Palace of Dreams (The Familiars #4) by Adam Jay Epstein & Andrew Jacobson

★★★★½

I gave this book just shy of 5 stars because of a few things that didn't sit right with me for a book that is supposed to be geared towards readers in upper elementary grades. Early on, there was a grim depiction of suicide, though the word "suicide" was not used. Also, it appears this volume has a different illustrator than the other volumes, and though I wasn't crazy about the illustrations in the first three books, I'm not crazy about these, either. I think they are better in quality, but more often than not, the pictures are scary. I don't know how it's decided which scenes get illustrated, but I would have preferred a few less frightening scenes!

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this book. Once again, the Prophesized Three are on a quest, and this time, there is more urgency than ever. I liked that in this installment, there seemed to be more cases in which Aldwyn, Gilbert, and Skylar had to use their wits to solve problems, rather than just relying on their magic.

The book ends on a cliffhanger, so clearly a fifth book should be in the works. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment