Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

★★★★

I really enjoyed it!

It seems to have been extensively researched, so that the story, which takes place during the "Golden Age" of comic books during World War II, appears to be historically accurate. It follows the lives of 2 Jewish cousins - one born and raised in NYC, the other a refugee from Nazi-occupied Prague - who create a series of superhero comic books. It's an exciting read, though I did have one or two issues with it.

The book spans a number of years and phases of the boys' lives, and at one point, when Kavalier embarks on a new phase (I won't say any more so as not to give anything away), his adventures are so bizarre that it made the story suddenly unbelieveable, and it was almost as if I had started reading a separate book. This was a little disappointing to me because the book actually starts off with Kavalier in a pretty fantastic situation, but Chabon was still able to make that part of the book believeable. Anyway, the book eventually returned to less forced situations, and by the time I finished the book, I was sad to leave Kavalier and Clay behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment