Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The World According to Garp by John Irving

★★

I'm not sure I understand Garp.

This book seems to me to be about lust, the tragic and completely avoidable consequences of misdirected lust, feminism, or the label of feminism, and individuality.

For the first part of the book, I was thinking, "Hm, I'm not sure where this book is going." And then just as I was beginning to feel like I was getting to know the characters, the entire middle of the book had me feeling disgusted with, rather than sympathetic towards, the main players. By the end I felt that some of the characters had redeemed themselves, and it seemed to close with some messages of human kindness, tolerance, and maturity. So I did at least leave the book with a positive attitude towards it.

No comments:

Post a Comment