Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure by Don Kladstrup, Petie Kladstrup

★★★

I have a disappointing tendency to read books (or see movies) and eventually forget everything about them - even if I actually liked the book or movie. This is what happened with Wine and War, so I just re-read it.

It's good! Very approachable; you don't need to know much about WWII to follow along, and wine terminology is explained in context. At times it reads like a high school history paper, and at other times, I think, "This would make a great movie!" There's a cast of recurring characters that I had a hard time keeping straight (e.g., Is this the guy from Burgundy? Or Champagne? Is he young, or married with kids?), but that's okay. Fascinating stories. Makes me want to visit France and drink some wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment